

So, I am sitting by a river trying to remember to actually look at the river a little and notice how pretty it is when my 11 yr old perceptive daughter asks me if i am okay. Am I okay? Immediately I turn my head nodding yes and realize that my face is tense, my eyebrows scrunched down, I am squinting. Basically I am giving myself a nice headache from all that tension.
I tell her that I really am okay, I am just worried one of these six children is going to go head over heels into this rushing cold water, but other than that I am great. I really wasn't meaning to sound sarcastic. Other than that I really am great. But, what happened to the time when I could sit by a river and see the river. Now I see fast moving murky water. I see myself shoving the baby into the 13 year old's arms and diving in after the 3 year old praying I can find him before he drowns. It is so ridiculous it is just barely on this side of CRAZY.
Oh well, Crazy is as Crazy does I guess. And Crazy does trips to the river with 6 kids. I know. I asked and Crazy answered.

5 comments:
Being the parent puts a different perspective on life doesn't it. It no longer is just a fast trip to (insert favorite place). Now we get to pack the lunches, clean up the mess, run interference, put up the tents, etc. OH MY GOSH...I am my mom!
I know just how you feel. I do the exact same thing. One day we went on a picnic and had to pack up and go because I couldn't relax. It was next to the river and I was so freaked out about the "what if" that I was absolutely miserable. I made Brian load everything back up and we went who knows where. Somewhere where there wasn't rushing water. Obviously it was exciting because I can't remember. I can only remember being sick with our present situation and my kids being at risk.
I have recently stayed home while the boys have gone on father -son campouts with Steve. Instead of enjoying the peace and quiet, I spend my time worrying that Steve isn't watching one of them and they are walking into the nearest lake or getting lost in the woods. It almost isn't worth the quiet! It is hard to relax when you are a mom and have active and "don't hear mom" kids. Like I have told many people, once I get to my mansion in the sky, I just want a padded, soundproofed room. Then I will relax!
It's not crazy. It's called parenthood.
The world is a different place when you're the protector.
Imagine how Christ must have seen it -
Oh, and rivers? I used to have nightmares about the dam breaking and how would I save the baby? And we bought this place ON PURPOSE BECAUSE OF THE ROMANTIC RIVER. I think we were nuts.
Does that make this neighborhood a kind of nut house, then?
And ummmm- bad things do happen. Just enough, I can't ever sit back and think - awwww - won't happen to us. Once you're a parent, if you're really doing the job, you feel like you've got this huge target on your back with a sign: Fate!!! Aim HERE.
And why am I not on your blog role?
Wait. I meant roll. Roll. Isn't that what I meant?
Post a Comment