Sunday, June 22, 2008

Our First Meeting -- the REAL Story


So, after deliberating over this for about 30 seconds, I've decided that there are truly two sides to every story. Fortunately for anyone reading our blog, I am here to give 'the rest of the story' (--Maybe my last name should have been Harvey).

Just to provide a little background to this story -- In my early high school years about 90% of my physical stature was made up of lips and teeth (that's another way of saying I had an alligator mouth and a hummingbird rear end,.....which is another way of saying I was a little kid with a BIG mouth -- not a foul mouth,..just a BIG one). I was just the type of kid who other kids loved to pick on -- never willing to back down, and never able to back up what I was able to dish out. In fact, I think I spent more time climbing out of garbage cans during my freshman year than I did in class. At one point I was even mounted on the gym wall by my belt loop. The only element of the situation that I could console myself with was that it took nearly my entire P.E. class to get me up there. It didn't occur to me to let the fact that the whole class was willing to hang me up there bother me.


As a result of my size (or lack thereof) I missed out on a lot of opportunities in sports and the like. Looking back, that may not really have been a bad thing. However, in the back of my mind I always longed for the day when my physical stature caught up to my peers.


Fast forward to October of 1992. I had just returned from my LDS mission in the Southern Caribbean. I was 21 years old. My physical stature had finally caught up to where (at least in my mind) it should be, and I was brimming with confidence. But, apparently that was misinterpretted and as Misty explained so eloquently, I came across as being 'Too Sexy' for just about anything -- at least as first impressions go.


Now to the meat of the story -- A friend of my brother (who was also a friend of mine) and I decided to hit the Village Inn for some refreshment after a volleyball activity. We chose the Village Inn because of the fact that it was probably the only non-convenience store where the dining room was still likely to be open -- oh! and the fact that it was only a few blocks away.


Upon being seated my friend began chatting with one of two girls seated in the booth directly behind him (in front of me). He obviously knew these girls and started helping with their homework. Meanwhile, I just sat back and tried to figure out if I knew the girl whose back was to me -- she looked like someone who I had gone to high school with, but the sum total of side glances still left me questioning. And,...I was not angry, nor was I scowling (just wanted to throw that in for clarification sake).


After an hour or so, my friend Ken along with the two girls (whose names I still don't think I knew) suggested going sledding. I had to be at work the next morning at 6am so I politely declined. Then Ken's sales tactics came out in force and, long story short, we ended up going sledding. The odd part about the sledding is that none of us had a sled. Therefore, we poked holes in the bottom of a few kitchen garbage bags and wore them like over-sized pairs of Depends. Fortunately we didn't use them like a pair of Depends -- I think that would have been a relationship killer, but maybe it's just me.


By this time I had had a chance to determine that Misty was definitely not the girl I went to high school with, but she was still a bit of a cutie. Additionally, she (and her roommate Kathy) had exhibited a sense of adventure and spontannaety and was, therefore, deemed worthy of my presence. So, after the sledding and some hot chocolate back at their apartment, I decided that 3:45am was just the right time for me to head home for a couple hours of sleep before work. On my way out the door I asked for the girls phone number. Obviously under estimating my superior mind powers, they heckled me about not writing it down and said I would never remember the number without a written note (and we all know how that one turned out, eh?).


Anyhow, the larger point is this: Despite any protest to the contrary, I knew Misty liked me from day one. The love part took a few more days, but I think it was close enough to call 'love at first sight."

1 comment:

K said...

Naw. Weak. You gotta do better than this if you're going to rebut that brilliant girl of yours. I did like, however, the part about you hanging on the gym wall. Reminds me of my own productive past . . .