Wednesday, October 28, 2009

DUI


Moving to Arizona has reminded me that living in Provo, Utah is a different sort of thing.  When we first moved to Utah I went through culture shock.  For five years.  Then I started loving Utah.  Then I didn't want to leave.  Then I left.  Living in Arizona has had it's own culture shock factor.  Weather shock mostly, but there is always the aisles of liquor in the grocery stores I am not used to seeing.  Costco has quite a selection as well.  So do we actually.  We have wine in our closet.  :)  It was delivered here just a few days ago.  Am I tempted?  Nah...I have LDS Drugs of Choice.  I recently discovered Diet Mountain Dew.  But that isn't the reason for this post.  No, no.  I want to write about breaking the law...legally.

I was feeling a little under the weather the day before yesterday. Just a wee cough.  That kept me up ALL NIGHT.  So, the next night I was determined to get sleep.  Because I need that.  Because without that I say rude things and throw fits and stuff.  I took NyQuil.  A full dose.

Now, that doesn't sound like such a big deal really.  I took it at 9:30 PM.  I knew I had to wake up at 5:30 AM.  Plenty of time to make it's way through and out.  Yes?

No.  This tiny bit of alcohol entering into a body that does not have a glass of wine with dinner or a margarita at the local Mexican restaurant is no small thing.  I forgot that.  Again.

So, 5:30 AM came real quick.  I promise you, I could have been thrown in jail from the way I was feeling.  I may as well have had an open six pack of Bud on the passenger seat next to me.  I barely made it home alive.  Oops. 

A little more time and some food fixed the problem.  I know one thing for sure, when driving on the freeway going 75 mph I would rather be tired from no sleep than drugged beyond what is safe and reasonable. 

Or, maybe I should have just had a Diet Mountain Dew before heading out?

7 comments:

Rachel said...

At least you have Nyquil as an excuse......I swear most of my days are passed in a drunken stupor. Or "stupit" as Jadon would say...

Rachel said...

P.S. Then again........there are days when I wish I could drink a bottle of NyQuil and call it a day. At least I'd have an excuse!

Richard & Natalie said...

Diet Mountain Dew...ahhh...it (& Dr. P) has been my exlir from the gods this last month. Now I am craving one. Guess I need a trip to Walkers.
I'm with you on the NyQuil. I can't take it, other nighttime cold medicines, or many pain meds because they knock me out for much longer than they reasonably should. My system just can't handle them. Good thing, I've never been tempted by alcohol huh?
I am glad you made it home safely, along with everyone else out on the road with you!

Ginna said...

oh yeah, I'm sure the combo of diet mountain dew + nyquil would be even better!
Nyquil definitely makes me feel totally loopy. I don't like to use it at all.

PMC said...

rach - can you be put in jail for that? lol
nat - not sure about elixar from the gods...lol..you are funny!
gin - maybe next time (no, i am kidding, there will not be a next time...) i can try the combo meal. ;)

Rachel said...

No Misty you can't but you CAN for not having mud flaps on your truck........

K said...

I'm with Rachel on the wishing I could just chug the whole dang bottle tonight. But then, G would have to take the puppies out all by himself. Which would be rotten unfair because he was the one who said no to the puppies because they were going to be so much work. But really, I was feeling like this weeks ago, long before I sold my life away. But I would just have bailed on the driving at 5:30. Whatever it was about, I would have stayed in bed.