Every year I ignore my kids declarations of absolute assurance to self awareness. Every year they proclaim their individuality. They know who they are, and I don't listen.
"I am going to be a ________ for Halloween!" They know it. They never doubt it. That blank part? Oh, that isn't important. That blank part changes every time they make this statement with sparkling eyes and gleeful little smiles. So, I ignore it. Month after month. Until October hits. Then I start to take it in. My palms sweat, beads of perspiration on the brow...I wait...and hope....
I hope it isn't anything I have to make. I always tell the kids, "You can be whatever you want honey! Just as long as you can put it together yourself!"
Now, I have heard this from other moms before. But what you all need to understand is this: I bought my sewing machine back when I thought I could do anything. I learned pretty quickly that I can not do everything. In fact, the sewing machine hates my guts.
Me and my sewing machine have been together for 14 years. I bought it at Sears. It has been through lots of moves and has even been on vacation at other peoples houses where it has actually been used. I have used my sewing machine for two things. Baby blankets (around the edges only) and costumes. Today was my 2nd costume. Today I made an Indian dress. Today I faced my fear and after an hour of struggle and shaking and nausea, I did it!
Halloween isn't about the goblins and monsters for some of us. It is about facing the fear inside. So, for another year I am safe. After 1 broken needle and countless re-threading, I experienced what can only be described as repentance.
"Good bye dear sewing machine. Let's hope we keep making it out alive!"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
Silly thing. Sewing is just a trick. Move back and I'll show you. My problem is not in the being able to do it; it's in the being willing to do it. Photoshop is so much more fun. Like, "Hey, Emma - come over here. Stand right there, while I digitize you. Now, what was it you wanted to go as again?"
And how come you are commenting on everybody but me, huh?
So because I live next to Kristen she'll sew my kids' costumes right? Isn't that what she just told you?
As I said in my blog today........having to make seven costumes.....Halloween is not my favorite anymore and every year I have a fight with my sewing machine and every year it wins. I'm gettin' kind of tired of it. Maybe if I plugged myself in I might win a round or two. Got anymore of that NyQuil???
sewing is SO HARD. I'm with you on this, totally. And I have a lovely sewing machine that my mom and mom-in-law got me. Both of these ladies accomplished sewers and quilters. I can barely get the thing threaded.
I think it's a mental block more than anything else. Can it really be that hard? For me--it is for sure! :) Good for you!!
Post a Comment