....is not like autumn in Utah. Which stands to reason since Arizona is south of Utah by about 4 tanks of gas, 3 bags of jelly bellies, and 15 million potty breaks.
I have been trying to embrace this new autumnal experience. It is hard when all I have been reading are lines like "As I emerged from my car, a gold and crimson rain fell all around me, showering me in a kaleidoscope of effervescent hues which dripped, melded, and ran together in the falling leafflakes; a Halloween rain.". More of that here.
And so I have been struggling to embrace. Today...today however I embraced. Think back to my visit to Phoenix in July. I think I described the kind of heat we are talking about well enough. You can refresh your memory here.
Now, cut that heat in half. That's right. Half. Just take it right off. The ability to stand in the sun and not sweat. That was something to take notice of. That was today. And wind. And sun. And palm trees. I think, that when you stand under a palm tree in full wind you may as well be standing in the middle of a field of grain. You know that deep rushing sound? That is a sound made for dancing. And if you take your shoes off and stand in the middle of the sand-filled playground and close your eyes....that 60 degree wind whipping around you....and smile...then you can begin to embrace....
Autumn in Arizona.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Wasn't that sentence of Mr. Z's fabulous?
Brian's brother lives in AZ. We went there a few years ago for Thanksgiving. I told Brian, "never again". It is NOT Thanksgiving when it is 70 degrees outside!!! :D
I am glad that you are embracing Autumn in Arizona. That you had that moment where you squished your toes into the sand, tilted your head back, and with closed eyes let the moment wash over you.
I'm glad that you are "Embracing Arizona". You are a faster learner than I. It took me 2 1/2 yrs to embrace Provo fully because to me, it didn't feel like home. The thing I didn't realize was that once I started to embrace it that is when it started feeling like home. I'm slow, I know.
You will really be embracing that 60 degree heat when we are freezing our behinds off up here.
I was there when you told me to close my eyes. I know what you're talking about. Texas is even more unromantic in autumn than the higher west, but I remember the softness of the air against my skin - especially across my face. I think I liked your sentence about standing in the sand better than the rain one. It was simple, and I felt it.
It is a great gift to be able to love where you are.
OK, you're totally making me jealous. Can I come live with you?
I think I'd miss the fall leaves the most. Arizona is lucky to have your great family!
Post a Comment