Monday, June 8, 2009

Why Do We Even Try?

Call me crazy, but I am of the opinion that telephones have ringers, Instant messages have flashing graphics, and smoke signals are visible For A Reason!

Although Alexander Graham Bell did not likely envision cellular phones (with the nifty vibrate feature) when he patented the first telephone in 1870, I think he designed that telephone with its little bicycle-type-bell ringer with Notification in mind. It doesn't seem a tremendous logical jump to assume that, even then, it was understood that one must somehow know of an incoming call before they can answer it.

This brings me to my current state of frustration (which is not actually a new topic on this blog site -- but this is the first time I'm sounding off) -- we currently have three cell phones, one land-line, two computers with Instant messaging, and four email accounts. You'd think, with such a wealth of communications equipment, I'd be able to get in touch with my Sweetheart just about anytime. You'd think. And you'd be WRONG!!

My sweetie is of the opinion that modern methods of communication are for HER convenience, not for anyone else's. And certainly not MINE. Ringers (despite having a silent/vibrate option) are constantly turned completely Off, Instant messages are ignored, and email? Well, apparently, unless you're part of some secret-best-girlfriends-I-only-want-to-talk-to-you Yahoo group you're not gonna get an answer either.

Well,...the great thing about these miracles of modern communication is that they are manageable from online interfaces which require passwords. Passwords which can be changed = accounts which can be cancelled, and priveleges that can be revoked.

But, Sadly, wives still control everything. They're better at finding ways to punish. Better at playing hardball. And Better at making our lives either a blissful prance through a field of daisies or a brutal military battle march (ya know, the whole mud, no boots, lots of bugs, very little food or water thing).

Hence, my rant is complete. I feel beaten without a single swing taken; dejected without a single word spoken. There's no winning THIS battle. So, the ever-present question remains: Why do I try?

12 comments:

PMC said...

You forgot Skype. I will deal with YOU later.

PMC said...

An email from my mother:

Misty Mishelle Squartsoff Cox!!!!!!!

your poor huz........... will you please stop ignoring his phonecalls?

i'm sending cheese and crackers coz paul does need them to go with that whine.

and i do empathize with him coz i tell h all the time, you can not instantly get in touch with misty. you can throw out a msg and hope eventually she'll get back to you. Now as far as being your mom is concerned i understand this. and my feelings are not hurt by this coz i do know your plate be full most of the time..

however...............

your man should really get your attention as need darlin. he is pitiful, throw him a bone for goodness sakes haha.

lecture over.............did i help paul?

love yall, mom

Duncan said...

Misty- I would have loved for my hubby to want to talk to me. Just some friendly food for thought.

Jen said...

I NEVER have any trouble at all getting a hold of Misty. Hmmm... Oh yeah, cause I'm in that secret-girlfriends-I-only-want-to-talk-to-you yahoo group! :) Too bad, Paul, men aren't allowed.

PMC said...

LOL...yes Jen you are. Lucky Duckling ;)

Diana said...

Well, Paul, in our family it's just the opposite! Jim won't carry his cell phone unless HE's going to need it! I've told him that I can't reach him sometimes, and it hasn't changed one bit. So I totally feel your pain! It's not fair, because he can reach ME, whenever he wants, because unlike him, I carry and answer my cell.

K said...

I don't know, you big whiner. Why DO you? Oh, I know - because your "sweetheart," who has spent 45 months of her life going through the physical and mental hell of pregnancy, and has, at the same time, shopped, cleaned, raised the other children, homeschooled (which ain't for the faint hearted or the dummies), kept your life organized and managed to interface with the neighborhood so that nobody shows up at your front door with blazing torches, demanding your scalp (like that would get them anywhere) for whatever reasons.

Gee. Does she sit by the phone and the computer just breathing hard and waiting for your call? Maybe she did ONCE - but that was before she was intimately acquainted with your LAUNDRY.

I got an idea, big guy - YOU go get your law degree, and WE'LL ALL STAY HERE TOGETHER. Absence, I'm sure, will make the heart grow much more interested in whether you call or not - it will be a THRILL to hear from you. Honest it will.

Now, get out of here before I kick a dog.

K said...

My first point was: you try because you can't afford to live without her. She is the centerpiece of your life, and the cable that holds it all together. If she's BUSY doing that, be glad. Just be glad you're being managed, buddy. It's a scary, big, chaotic world out there without your woman, whether you can get her to answer the phone or not.

PMC said...

Whew baby....I am so glad K is in MY CORNER....that comment is for the books!

K said...

See? He didn't even answer me. Hmmm. Maybe he's not speaking to me anymore. Or maybe he tried to call me. Did my phone ring? I can't remember.

PMC said...

Oh he is busy sulking. :) You have to be gentle....he bruises easily. *wink wink*

PMC said...

Well K, I was prepared for what I knew would be a full orchestra of women playing the world's smallest version of every string instrument imaginable.

So, don't misunderstand. I have no problem publicly recognizing the infinite virtues which M. possesses. But I also don't mind poking fun of the one virtue she does Not possess -- desire to answer a phone for anyone's convenience but her own. =-)

-P