I like scenic routes. They are pretty. I would rather take a scenic route and weave my way through, floating back and forth, zigzagging my way and smiling and breathing in and feeling the breeze and watching the shadows from the leaves dance just like my soul.
Sometimes it is necessary to take the interstate. Not the one that winds through the canyon. I am talking about the strait one. That one that just goes on and on and doesn't change. The one that has nothing on the right or left but dirt. The one that gets you from point A to point B the quickest way possible.
What if the place you are trying to get to is the most desirable place on earth? What if it was free and everyone was welcome to come? The one place on earth that was free of pain and worry and fear? What if you could get there by just getting on the interstate?
Would you take the interstate? I am wondering if I would. I like pretty. No, I need pretty. The scenic route could get me there, eventually. Of course the scenic route may get me lost too, but that may be a risk I am willing to take.
I have been pondering over choice of road for a few days now. I know people who make comfortable choices in their lives. People who take the scenic route time and again. These are good people. People who I love and have fun with. People who make me laugh. People who love me. I know other people who make uncomfortable choices. They try to stay on the road that will get them to that place the quickest way they can, even if that means the interstate. I love these people as well. But, only one can inspire. Those that lead the way through the hot desert with nothing but dirt on either side. Those who take the shortest way and you can feel it because often they make it and then go back to help others make it. They have a piece of the most wonderful place on earth with them that they carry around and share with everyone they meet. Those people....those people are who I want to be like. Most of the time.
Today I want the scenic route. Today I want the breeze and the ocean and the wandering road. I want to breathe in. Today, I want beautiful. I don't want to imagine beautiful or make what I see beautiful. I want it to be so overwhelmingly beautiful that there is nothing to do but stare at it and love it.
Tomorrow I will try and follow the interstate. Hope I don't get lost today.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
When we go up to MT. the stretch from ID Falls to right before the MT border is straight, brown, and UGLY! I am talking straight for hours and hours. You could lock your car into position and never have to move the steering wheel. Take a nap or two....wake up and you'd still be on that endless road BUT it is the fastest way. It is straight and sometimes flat. Sometimes there are hills and as your hot car chugs up that hill you think you are never going to make it to the top and when you do....you see straight borring ahead of you again for miles and miles. If I were riding a bike I'd be grateful for that straight borring after a long climb up a hill.
I have driven this road for years. Growing up and now married and with children we drive this same road. I've learned that it is a lot funner driving this road with the ones that you love laughing and sharing conversation along the way, giving a shoulder to the person next to you to nap on from time to time, when the driver gets tired..taking over the wheel and always at the end.........is home. Home and loving parents who await with open arms and rest.
And then I sit on the porch and drink in the beauty that envelopes me surrounded by my family and I forget all about that stretch of road between Idaho Falls and the border because it was worth it to get home as fast as we could.
:D The End! :D
After reading this post and Rachel's comment I think it is time for me to take a road trip.
Post a Comment