
Driving into a parking lot with my husband can be excruciating. The way I see it, there are two kinds of people in this world: the decisive and the indecisive. I am proud to announce that when choosing a parking spot, I am decisive. Paul on the other hand will pass perfectly good parking spaces only to pull into one that isn't any better than the 10 he just snubbed.
Picking a wife however is a little more involved, even for the resolute. There are consequences to passing by 10 perfectly good potential wives only to pick the next one that comes along because you are suddenly afraid that if you keep going you might not get one at all. It's a good thing my husband had the good sense to pick the best option right from the start. I will have everyone know that he deserves the beating he is about to get as I describe the details of "The Worst Proposal in History".
A little background: Paul gets home from his mission with only one thing on his mind.....date as many girls as possible and kiss them all. (Sorry hon, blogging isn't for the faint of heart!) He meets me. We date. Yep, just me. Poor Paul just dated little ole' me. Before he knew it I was telling him that I was done being pals. Translation: If your gonna pick this parking space you had better do it because it isn't going to remain available much longer. Well, under duress the poor guy had to make his move....and here is how it went.
We just got back to his house from some place that isn't important enough to remember. He checks the mail. He gets a REJECTION letter from the Y. He turns to me and says, "So, what would you say if I asked you to marry me?"
(My thought: "Oh, ya, get a rejection letter from the place that actually HAS an endless supply of girls you can date and kiss so just settle for the one sitting in front of you!) (Next thought: "What a baby! Probably can't even pick his own stinking parking spot without help.") (Last thought: "Well...he is awfully cute....)
My answer? "I guess you would have to ask to find out wouldn't you?" He did. I did. End of story? Not even CLOSE!!! If the story ended there it wouldn't even BE a story!
THREE MONTHS later my sweet husband is still halfway in and halfway out of the parking space. He hadn't REALLY decided what he wanted, he was just stalling. (Pun Intended)
I hand him the engagement ring back and tell him he can keep it. Well, he has a nice heart to heart with his dad. He prays. I won't go into detail here, it isn't my moment to share, but I will say this, I look really good in a wedding dress.
Paul and I have been married for 14 1/2 years and I am still waiting for a re-do on that proposal. Something a little more chivalrous...involving a bent knee and roses. Let's skip the driveway and rejection letter this time.....I want the Hollywood version baby!!!

3 comments:
You know what they say.......(evil chuckle) absense makes the heart grow fonder........ :o) I think he should pay for that parking spot don't you??? :o) I think the interest he has accumulated is quite huge and I wouldn't settle for a simple down on one knee with roses. He has give or take six months until your anniversary.....work it baby. Work it! Make that boy PAY!
Howling. I'll have you know that these were the EXACT words my stupid FATHER used. And my mother said just about the same thing: "Well, why don't you try and find out?" They were married for over fifty years - wait, maybe sixty, now??? There were still parking issues of all kinds, but they got through it and had ME and two other brilliant (not quite so achieving) children and there you are.
And yes, I imagine you would, indeed, look pretty dang good in a wedding dress.
It's too bad, that's one of those moments they can't take back, huh! They just get to pay for it with the rest of their lives, lol!
Post a Comment