Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Check and Double Check


I have list making friends.  I have list making family members.  I don't list make.  I tried it once, for a day.  The list got in my way and I threw it in the garbage.  I am not sure why I am not a list maker.  I like to plan and prepare and do things way early and be on time and make sure things are perfect, so it would make sense to make lists and check them twice.  Nope.  Hate em'.  It is okay though, I have decided that I can get by without the list.  I have decided that the only way to get through this life is to be anti-list.  You can actually be anti-anything if you decide it.  And if you declare yourself anti-something then you have a position.  You are on a side.  I am officially and publicly on the anti-list side.

Lest I make enemies, let me explain the anti-list position.  There are lots of things I could be doing.  There are lots of things I should be doing.  I could list them out for you now, but then I would be going against my declared position.  I am sure you can think of the list if you try really hard.  Just think of all the talks, articles, books, grand ideas, goals, and other such material that fuel the list that grows inside your head.  Got it there?  Good. 

Can I possibly get through everything on that list?  Seriously.  All of it?  Don't leave anything out here.  I am talking about the Granddaddy of all Lists.  The Big One.  It has everything on it.  Yes, yes, even that....

I say nay.  I cannot.  But it isn't the list that is important.  I have decided that it is my ability to do what needs to be done that matters.  Why does this make me anti-list?  Because it is the list that is killing me, even the one in my head.  I can't literally list out all possibilities when the one thing that I should be doing is learning to weave baskets under water and I didn't think to put that on my list and so I therefore am not doing that one thing that really is more important that the 20 things I have floating around in my head for the week. 

And so I have a new plan.  It is the live moment to moment plan.  Yes.  No list.  Not even the one in my head.  So far it is a fabulous plan.  Things just work out.  No kidding.  No really...all you freaked out plan ahead or die people out there...things really do work out.  My new favorite word is:  fluid.  My life feels more fluid.  Go figure.  Of course my life is pretty calm right now and I am hoping that the next rocky drop off doesn't do my new plan in...but hey, I am new at this, so cut me some slack. 

So, to all my list making friends I say there is a better way!  Throw that list out!  Live each moment.  One moment at a time!  35 years old and so wise.  Sigh.....

Now, on to the next thing on my list....

7 comments:

Richard & Natalie said...

I am a list person, but I understand, oh how I understand why you are not. One day I had a "grandma of all lists" and halfway through the day nothing, absolutely nothing, was crossed off. Discouraging. I had accomplish tons- just not what was on the list. So I said screw it and threw it away and made a new one. On this new and improved list I listed every thing I had accomplished that day. At the end of the day it was much nicer to look at than looking at all the things I didn't get to.

Rachel said...

Throw the list out. Really truly? Are you sure you want me to do that because what if on that list is get Misty a present??? Huh? Uh huuuuuuuh......that is what I THOUGHT! You KNOW I'll forget if it isn't on my list......you are such a hypocrite! :D

PMC said...

nat - see?????? i'm just sayin'

rach - well....uh.....ok...you got me....

Chastina said...

I like to make lists, but only when it's something I can/want to get done. If I don't have an occasional list I forget things, like dish soap at the store.

No lists....what a liberating thought.

K said...

Dang it. I wrote a comment, and it was long, and it didn't get published. How lousy is that?

PMC said...

Double Dang it. I really want to read what you have to say about this!!!! Ugh. If I could run across the street...I WOULD!!!!

Rob and Marseille said...

along rachel's comment...how do you remember everything you're getting your 6 kids for christmas....but what if one of them found that list? I am a list maker. One thing I love doing is making a list for the week and at the end of the day I move everything I didn't do to the next day. Hmmm...fridays lists are always soo long...