Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Everything Looks Better in the Dark

When I came to Phoenix to "find a house" I stayed at my friend's house.  The dark rooms were a mystery to me.  Believe it or not, they only had a light on in the room they were actually using and even then the light may or may not come on.  I just didn't get it.

I am a light person.  I grew up in Alaska ("OOOOH!  Neat!") and we used lights there like nobody's business.  In Utah I used our electricity to keep myself from going insane in the winters there...after the first 2 winters of course.  I remember thinking those first two winters away from Alaska...."Wimps!!!  This isn't winter!  This is NOTHING!!!!"  I ate those thoughts later.  They were delicious.

Then I moved to Phoenix.  Phoenix has taught me much.  Things like that metal on the outside of your car can actually cause 3rd degree burns and the 'cold' label on that faucet fixture doesn't really mean 'cold', it means hot. The 'hot' side means really freaking hot.

I have also learned the value of shade, a good towing service, and ceiling fans.  I am pretty sure that the poor saps that God feels most sorry for who are sent to Hell will be provided with ceiling fans.

And when the sun goes down rocks and dirt are actually prettier.  They are picture worthy.  The sky is more than picture worthy at sunset.  It is my goal to get some shots and share them with you.  There is always an upside.

The upside to dark rooms is this:  you can't see how badly you need to vacuum again, your electric bill hovers around 500 for the month instead of a million, and the heat comin' off those bulbs isn't adding to your overall sweat count.  And there is heat coming off those bulbs my friends.  Oh, there is heat.

5 comments:

Rachel said...

And my hubby wants to move to Arizona! I think NOT! UT is hot enough for me thank you.

Dark also makes it possible to forget that surrounding one of your kids' bed is a minagerie (sp?) of boogers they've wiped all over the walls. I only check on this child after dark and lights are out......

PMC said...

LOL, Rachel, you are always good for a hearty chuckle! :) Boogers....don't I know it....

Chastina said...

I love dark rooms on the south side of my house! I'm not a heat person, although there are times I need some heat. (Just not as much as you have.)

Jen said...

You moved to AZ at the worst time of year, my dear. Wait a few...3 months and life will be better...at least cooler. And I will make sure I send you lots of snow-upto-my-eyeballs-and-I'm-stuck-in-it pictures this winter so that you can laugh and laugh and laugh and enjoy your 60 degrees. I miss ya!

K said...

Yeah - I never turned on the lights in my classrooms in the morning, but that was because I was never awake till second period, or RS, depending on the situation. Dark is gentle and whispers hope that you will eventually get back to bed. About the water - you need to turn down the thermostat on your water heater. It's WAY too hot, and you'll fry the baby when you bathe him. Nobody needs it that hot. Turn down the heat on the water and you'll also cut that utility bill down some. I prefer my Mitchells white and delightsome, not lobster like -